Friday, July 08, 2011

Have reached Northern Territory

Hi Everyone

I'm sorry for the delay but I haven't had reception for a few days.

I saw a little bit of Derby and am pleased I didn't book in for 2 nights. I missed low tide so can't compare with high tide. The tides have been amazing up the west coast compared with the East.

Next stop was a free park and then Fitzroy Crossing, where I stayed at a Caravan Park on the Fitzroy River. The current in the river is quite strong so it is not advisable to go swimming.  I also did a tour of the Geike Gorge which was fantastic. The scenery and History were amazing. Saw quite a few Fresh Water Crocs which apparently aren't as aggressive as the Salty, I wasn't prepared to find out though. I also met Bob who is a 'native' and I was sucked into buying another carved Boab Fruit, I'll never learn! I also took his photo and he said that it costs $5!! He didn't get the $5. He was friendly and sits outside the Carvan Park every day. There are a lot of Aboriginies employed at the park.

Next was a couple more Free Parks as there is nothing at Halls Creek or Warmun ( Turkey Creek) so decided not to waste money staying there. I got to Kunanurra on Saturday 2nd. The caravan park is on a Lake and really is quite relaxing watching the birds and Monitor Lizards. I drove 100kms to Wyndham the next day and went to the  5 Rivers lookout which is self explanatory. Also took a photo of the Big Crocodile. I then drove back to Kunanuura. My great expense, here, was a flight to the Bungle Bungles, Lake Argyle and the Argyle Diamond Mine, well worth it. The Mine was enormous and the lease goes to 2020 but Rio Tinto aren't sure whether to extend. There is billions of dollars worth of Diamonds still to be mined so not sure why they wouldn't continue.

The Bungle Bungles are well worth a look at. You can go in, in 4WDs but I don't think you would get the same effect as from the air.

I stayed at Kunanurra for 3 nights and then went to Lake Argyle which is only an hour away. Lake Argyle is classed as an inland sea covering 1,000 square kms. It was formed by the damming of the Ord River and is Australia's largest body of fresh water. How's that for a history lesson!!

The caravan park has a swimming pool that overlooks part of the lake. I was talking to one couple who had a schnauzer and were travelling with another couple who had a poodle. When they found out that I clip my dogs, the people with the poodle were at my door asking me if I'd clip there dog, which I did. I asked them not to let anyone else know as I'm not a dog groomer.

Well I'm now in Timber Creek, NT. I had to put my watch forward 1 1/2 hrs, yesterday, which made my stay at the free park a short one. Tomorrow I head for Katherine

 
  Boab Prison Tree n Derby - 14.7 metres in diameter
 Geike Gorge
 Geike Gorge
 He might be a little out of focus - sorry
 My friend Bob!
 Bungle Bungles - part thereof
 Monitor
On Lake Argyle


View from pool at Caravan Park

Well that's it. Next Blog will probably be from Darwin. Hope everyone is well

Lots of Love

Jo, Kaiser, Chardy and Shiraz
xx    woof    woof          woof

No comments:

Post a Comment