Saturday, July 16, 2011

Finally in Darwin

Hi Everyone

Well I'm now in Darwin and with my sister and brother-in-law. It is great to see them and we are seeing Darwin together.

After leaving Timber Creek I went to Katherine and stayed at Springvale Homestead. It was very nice there and I actually camped beside a Billabong. It was a non powered site and only cost $10. The next night I went to a Caravan park in Katherine, and had a powered site,( a bit of a comfort zone but am getting more confident in staying somewhere without power), which was $34!
Anyway it backed onto the Hot Springs area so that was an added bonus. The water temperature in these springs is 32 degrees, and NO I didn't go for a swim but lots of other people did.

I do plan to go back to Katherine on my way to Alice Springs and will visit Katherine Gorge which is now called something else, aboriginal of course.

From Katherine I went to Mary River which is at the south Entrance to Kakadu. I had arranged with Dennis ( well he suggested it) to meet there and I  would look after his dog so he could go into Kakadu for a day and then he'd look after my 2 so I could go. I must admit I did enjoy Kakadu but thought there would be more Gorges and other things to see. The Cultural Centre was great, as was the Rock Art. It was extremely hot and with all the walking was quite exhausting. You also had to pay a $25 entrance fee but no one ever checked that you had a ticket. The Caravan Park had no reception and I was on a unpowered site so all I could do was read my book.

There were some Aborigines living in the Caravan Park and were very friendly. Their house had a colourbond roof and the walls were made of wire mesh so you could actually see in at any time of the day or night. They did have a section that was screened off that I think was the bathroom as their bed was in view.

From Kakadu I went to Adelaide River but there was nothing there. Darwin was the next stop where I caught up with my sister and brother-in-law.

It was fantastic to see them and can you believe Flip cooked me a roast which is the first one I'd had in 5 months!! She cooked it in the Baby Q Bar B Que and it was delicious.

We are seeing Darwin together and it is so nice to have someone to share the sites with. It is 32 degrees and the nights are warm so the airconditioner is getting a lot of use.

 Billabong at Springvale Homestead
 Hot Springs at Katherine

 Signs at Amenities Block at bMary River
 Rock Art Kakadu
Part Of Kakadu

I tried to put a photo of thje wetlands at Kakadu but it wouldn't happen.

Hope everyone is well and hopefully I uodate again soon. There really isn't much here in Darwin.

Lots of  love

Jo, Kaiser, Chardy and Shiraz
xx     woof    woof           woof

No comments:

Post a Comment