Sunday, June 26, 2011

Broome to Derby

Hi all

I left Broome yesterday after spending 5 pleasant days there. I must admit there is nothing there except for Cable Beach. You can go to other places but the tours cost a fair bit and the worth while ones involve Flying which is where the expense is. I did go for a swim at Cable Beach and I also went there to watch the sunset which was spectacular.

I met up with other people that I have met along the way which helped pass the time. The weather was fantastic 28 - 29 during the day and the nights were cool so great for sleeping. Apart from food shopping and washing there really wasn't much for me to do there.

Kaiser was good for 48hrs and then he was in discomfort again. Whilst walking I noticed a lump on hi side and looking closely I realised it was a tick. I don't know how long it had been there but it wasn't filled with blood but it was a reasonable size. I removed it and 24hrs later Kaiser was his normal self. This morning he was certainly in discomfort again so I'm not sure whether maybe he is getting spasms inhis lower back - just guessing as I don't know what his problem is.

We are now in Derby. I spent last night at a free park with quite a few other people so felt safe. I drove to the Information Centre and was succonded by one of the native locals ( if you know what I mean) who was wanting me to buy a carved Boab fruit, which of course I did, too scared not to!!! I have been advised that if I take the motorhome out of the caravan park, not to leave it unattended for long as when you come back the windows would've been smashed and wheels gone. Also if you hit one with the vehicle, don't stop just go straight to the police because the "locals"will stalk you. I'm only staying here 1 night as I can nsee most thing in less than a day.

Derby experiences some of the highest tides in the world. This afternoon I am walking to the wharf to have a look at low tide and then when I leave tomorrow I'll see the high tide. Tomorrow on my way out I will go and see the Boab Prison Tree which has a girth of 14.7 metres and is believed to be 1,500 years old!

I'm writing my blog now because I have reception but not sure when I'll have it again. I will be heading East through Fitzroy Crossing, Halls Creek then North East to Kunanurra then to Katherine in NT. Kunanurra is about 900kms from here.

Well obviously I haven't been as busy as in previous blogs but I'm still having a great time, relaxing.

Cable Beach at low tide. You can see the tide mark.

Sunset at Cable Beach

Obviously, camels at Cable Beach

                                                        Boab Tree
I call this the poor mans beach as this is on the opposite side to Cable Beach and very close to where I was staying. There is sand down near the trees and to the left of the rock!

Well that's it. Hope this finds you all well. Not sure when I'll next beable to blog.

Lots of Love

Jo, Kaiser, Chardy and Shiraz
xx     woof     woof        woof

1 comment:

  1. hi jo
    great to hear all your news. you are having amazing time by the sound of it. i dont know anyone who has swum with whale sharks. hope kaiser is completely healthy again. all well here. miss you though
    janexx

    ReplyDelete