Sunday, April 24, 2011

Esperance to Leschenault (near Bunbury)

Hi Everyone

I hope you are all having a great Easter and enjoying the extra time off, yes I know some people have to work.

I'm here in Leschenault which is 15 or so minutes from Bunbury. I'm staying with Annette and John and am being spoilt rotten  ( I know I deserve it !!) The reception for mobile phones and wireless internet is very poor here because their house is in bushland surrounded by hills. I'm using their computer so I won't be putting any photos on this blog but will put extra  on the next one.

 I've had 677 photos printed so will start my Albums. I know that's a bit old fashioned but it's what I want to do. Luckily I only had to pay 10cents a print. I will also try and put them on a disc, when I work out how.

My trip from Esperance was uneventful. I got to Kulin to see the Tin Horse Hwy ( that I'm sure I've mentioned ) The difference in the countryside frome Esperance was quite staggering. I left looking at water views and the the salt lakes which there are many. Next was an iron ore mine and the soil was reddish in colour, quite a contrast to the white sand of the beaches. The "greenery" varied from a few Eucalypt trees to bushes that were common on the way to Coober Pedy. After that the countryside was paddocks which had had wheat crops but were now quite bare and stark. Then suddenly I came across a paddock full of grape vines and a sign indicating there was a winery, this was out in the middle of nowhere. There were signs that usually read  ' kangaroos / wombats' for the next 15kms, but these were saying 'Mallee Fowls' for next 15kms. I'm not sure whether these fowls are protected or not and I didn't see any but I thought it odd seeing this on signs.

After the winery I was heading further North/West and the paddocks were very dry and bare. This is a wheat district as I saw quite a few Silos but the land looked so dry. The sheep were the same colour as the ground and it was, sometimes, difficult to see them, they certainly weren't in the best of conditions. There has been very little rain and that was obvious by the low levels of water in the dams. I'm sure this is what the eastern states went through a few years ago.

After taking numerous photos of the tin horses I went to the Caravan Park but it was 'out in theback of nowhere' and the caretaker lived somewhere else, so I just drove out again. The next town was 30 odd kms away so decided to go there. The Caravan Park was behind the police station so that suited me. I was the only one there and it really was a very nice park and I didn't have to wait for a shower! The dogs enjoyed being the 'kings of the castle'.

I arrived here last Thursday but being Easter not much is happening. The dogs are loving the space to run around in and often venture off into the bushland. Annette has shown me a fair bit of the area. We are close to an estuary which is full of black swans, and the paddocks below are full of kangaroos even during the day.
The beach is not too far away but have only ventured there once and that was for a walk, not a swim ( the dogs did though).

 I took the scooter out to-day but it is very windy and not that pleasant. Here at the house it is quite protected and we haven't got any of the wind.

Tomorrow is Monday and John goes back to Perth for work ( I think he works for the labour party but is about to retire ) Annette stays here but I will take her up to Perth on Thursday to be with John and I'm meeting Lachlan. He will be over here, with the car team he works for, as there is a V8 supercar race at the weekend. It will be good to see him.

No more news. Hope everyone is well

 Love

Jo, Kaiser, Chardy and Shiraz
xx     woof    woof          woof

No comments:

Post a Comment