Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Yardie Homstead Caravan Park to Point Samson

Hi Everyone

Well my last week hasn't been as exciting as the week before but I think it would be very difficult to top the swim with the Whale Sharks. I did go snorkelling again at a place called Oyster Stack and you had to be there at high tide. Once again my neighbours took me and it was just as good if not better than Turquoise Bay. The fish were bigger and the coral more colourful. I saw a sea snake and a spotted stingray plus the usual colourful fish. We also went to Lakeside which is also great for snorkelling.

Friday I left Exmouth. One neighbour put my antenna down and said that would be safe. Well I drove up to the lighthouse to take some photos and was told the antenna was up. Shit I said. Anyway one of the guys put his 4WD next to my motorhome and climbed up on the roof and tied it down for me. People are so nice and nothing is too much trouble. Called into the vet to get the "husher" muzzle for Kaiser, which we tried on and of course he wasn't impressed. Hopefully it will work.

Drove to Barradale which is a free park. There is nothing there and it is out in the open with very few trees. There were toilets but not your normal toilet, more a modern "can" type toilet. Spent the night there and as there is no power I needed to put the fridge on gas and luckily the lights run on battery. There was no phone reception.

The next day I drove to Onslow which is on the coast. I had to go 80kms from the main highway. Onslow is a tiny town but the caravan park is on the foreshore. It costs $35 per nite so I only stayed 1 night. The weather wasn't the best so I didn't see Onslow at its best. Next day I drove to the Robe River which is another free parking area but a beautiful spot on the banks of the river. Unfortunately it started to rain and didn't stop all night. I would've loved to have stayed another nite but because of the rain it wasn't worth it. There was one lady there in a 5th Wheeler. Her partner pulls it with a ' Chevy'  but forgot to take it out of 4WD mode when he got onto the main highway. Apparently, with a Chevy, you can't drive on a normal road in 4WD so consiquently he had wrecked the gearbox and differential and being an American car they have to get parts from the USA. She has no idea how long that will take so they are stuck there. They have been travelling for 11 years and do relief work at National Parks and where ever they are needed.

I then drove to Karratha only to find out that no caravan parks are dog friendly. I then drove here and it really is a nice place on the beach. There is Honeymoon Cove here but I don't think I need to go there, not yet anyway!!! Point Samson is 60kms north of Karratha and there isn't much here, in the way of shops and things. I'm staying 1 week so hopefully the weather will improve, not that it has been bad, a bit windy and overcast.

There is a guy here who has ridden his motorbike from Warwick, Qld! He went to Exmouth for a Ulysses Club get together and it apparently rained the whole time. I think I heard that they had had 5 inches of rain in a couple of days! that was after I left.

Well that's it, sorry it's not as newsy.

Oyster Stack - the dark areas in the water are the coral

 Robe River - free parking
Some visitors at Robe River
Part of the main road that has been destroyed by rain
A Gas Station ,in the middle of nowhere, near Karratha. Karratha is filled with mine workers and there is not much there.

Hope everyone is well. I'm heading to Port Hedland but there isn't anything there so won't be staying . Till next time

Lots of Love

jo, Kaiser, Chardy and Shiraz
xx     woof     woof          woof

1 comment:

  1. Doesn't sound like a cheap exercise fixing the chev!
    Poor little Kaiser boy :( Maybe you should leave the "woof" out at the bottom for him :)

    Pics are great, need more with you in them though Mum!!

    ReplyDelete