Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Point Samson to Port Smith

Hi Everyone

I'm sorry for the delay but I have been out of reception for quite some days. I stayed at Point Samson till last Monday and the wind did not let up. I'm sure it is a lovely spot, and it was when the wind died down in the afternoon, but the mornings were terrible.

From there I headed north and planned to stay at a free park but when I got there I would've been the first one and I'd prefer to have others there first. I travelled on to South Hedland, which is 20kms south of Port Hedland as there was adog friendly caravan park there. I must admit I would've been better off risking staying at the free park as this park was pretty ordinary and they charged $40!!

Next stop was Marble Bar and even though I had to travel 150kms of the north route it was really worth it. I went to the Marble pool which was full of Jasper. This was mistakenly thought to be Marble hence the name Marble Bar. In it's dry state there is not much colour but once you put water on it, the colours are spectacular. The water, in the pool was quite warm but I didn't go swimming either did anyone else whilst I was there.

I stayed there 1 night and on the way back, on the same road that I went in on, I called into Dooleena Gorge which was off the beaten track.

My next stop was Pardoo Station which was about 240kms away, 13kms of that was down a red dirt road with some corrugation. It was a nice spot and as they were in the middle of mustering there was a fair bit of action. They use helicopters and Suzuki Vitaras ( 4WD) to muster and they employ backpackers to help out. The cattle were put into holding yards which was not far from 'us' campers and as the mums were seperated from their calves it got a bit noisy. Anyway I still got enough sleep. They had a bonfire each night and there were an older couple who entertained us with their country and music songs, but were only there for 3 nights, thank goodness!!

Next was Port Smith where I planned to stay 1 week on, recommendation of another camper. Well I had to travel down 23kms of red dirt road and when I got there there wasn't a whole lot there. Luckily I didn't pay for 1 week instead paid for 3 nights. There is a Lagoon there which is one of the highlights. The tides are quite diverse if that is the right word. High tide is up to the carpark and low tide is quite a long way from there. I'd say I walked through soft grey sludge for 300 - 400 mtres before I got to the water. The dogs loved it, especially Chardy who just ran ( I should say trudged ) for ever. She did sleep well.

Port Smith is great for fishing and the number of people who were there, from all states, was amazing. Mind you the only conversation was fishing so we didn't have much in common. Unfortunately, the second day I hurt Kaiser somehow and he was not a happy fellow. He would still eat and walk, slowly, but couldn't jump into the Motorhome and whenever I lifted him he would yelp. I decided to leave Port Smith a day early ( no you don't get a refund ) and take him to a vet in Broome.  There was no phone, internet or TV reception so I wasn't sorry to go and also I had been bitten by midges so am now covered in bites.

I 'm now in Broome and after taking Kaiser to the Vet have settled into an overflow caravan park which allows dogs ( all other caravan parks don't allow dogs). The Vet said there was nothing seriously wrong with Kaiser and has put him on anti inflammatories. I'm not sure how long I plan to stay here but it'll be a least a couple of days.

I'm having a problem with putting photos on so I'll finish off and perhaps send photos seperately

Hope this finds everyone well.

Lots of  Love

Jo, Kaiser, Chardy and Shiraz
xx     woof     woof       woof

No comments:

Post a Comment