Friday, May 27, 2011

Cararvon to Bullara Homestead ( near Exmouth)

Hi everyone

I left Monkey Mia and went to Carnarvon. The caravan park had a sign out the front saying  "Pay 2 nights get the third free" well I don't need to think about it and I drove straight in. It was a lovely park and I was made to feel very welcome by Keith and Sandy in the caravan next to me. They have been at Carnarvon since April and plan to stay till October! They had a little shitzu-maltese called Molly and on the tyre cover on the back of their caravan, was a photo of Molly and it said "talk to the paw" now you thought I was mad!! Anyway Keith and Sandy are lovely people and they also offered to keep an eye on my 2 when I went out on my scooter.

Carnarvon is quite a nice town. 1st day there we (dogs and I ) walked into town (only 700 metres) as I was wanting to get some milk. There are a few aborigines around but all seemed friendly. I came across 2 ladies having a ciggy outside there office which was the local newspaper. We got chatting, as you do, and I asked if it was safe to tie the dogs up whilst I went into Woollies, They said yes but offered to look after them for me, I am so trusting!! Off I went to get some milk and of course a couple of extra things. I walked back to where I left the dogs with the girls and they weren't there -panic panic.!! No need as the girls had taken them into the office, given them fresh water and the dogs were in 7th heaven.

Saw a bit of the town in the days that followed and I did decide to stay an extra couple of days. I found a camera which I handed into the police station.

I then drove 80kms to some Blow Holes. I decided to camp there as well, as I wanted to try out the motor home without power and to make sure I was completely self sufficient. Yes I know I should've done this before I left but you know me. Anyway everything worked. The fridge had to be put onto gas as did the hot water and I used my outside camp stove so that I wouln't waste the gas. The only problem was I had no phone, computer and TV reception so felt a litlle isolated. The relieving ranger gave me some fresh mackeral steaks which I cooked that night and they were delicious. The ocean was again clear and quite pleasant but there were lots of jellyfish which was very rare. The ranger had never seen them before but they were harmless or dead!!

Back out on the road and I got some missed calls. One was from the police wanting me to ring them. I tried but the officer was at lunch. I was wondering what they would want because I said I didn't want the camera if it was unclaimed after 2 months. Anyway on I travelled.

Called into Coral Bay but it was so busy, cars, caravans motorhomes and campers everywhere, I just drove out again. I didn't think there was much there except for a beach and obviously lots of water activities.

I drove to Bullara Homstead which offers camping areas. It cost $12 but they had showers and toilets, so I didn't have to waste my water. The water was heated by a "donkey" which is an enclosed fire which is lit twice a day 0700 and 1630. I assume the pipes run through the block where the fire is. I hope you know what I mean. Bullara station is 250,000 acres and they 'run' cattle and sheep, plus a few goats and horse. The horses are given free range of the camping area so you are advised not to leave anything outside that they might like

Once again there was no phone service so when I eventually got in range I had another missed call from the police. I must admit my mind was working in overdrive and thinking all sorts of things and I half expected the police to turn up any minute which was stupid as they didn't know where I was. I decided to ring them when I got to the Caravan Park. Little did I know that there is no service at this park except the lady told me if I "turned right onto the main road and stop at the second termite hill on the left " I should get service. Off I go and there was no service!! I went back to the caravan park because they had public phones so rang the police. All it was was that they had found the owner and she was wanting my mobile so that she could ring and thank me. I think the police had already given it to her as I said that I don't have any service and they said that she had already tried. Anyway I'm so pleased that the owner has got it.

Well that's it nothing much else to say. I've "bought" some internet so at least I have some sort of communication. Will write again soon I hope

 1 mile Jetty at Carnarvon  cost $5 by train $4 to walk !!          Sunset   
                                                                                                       Carnarvon Bay                  
 Point Quobba nears Blow Holes

Outdoor shower at Bullara Homestead

Hope this finds everyone well

Lots of Love

Jo, Kaiser, Chardy and Shiraz
xx   woof        woof          woof

No comments:

Post a Comment