Thursday, March 17, 2011

Now in South Australia - only just!!

Hi Everyone

I'm in Mount Gambier, South Australia, but only just ( I mean just over the boarder). Arrived here yesterday after spending a couple of days in Port Fairy. I stayed in Wongarra (near Apollo Bay ) until Monday as it was a public holiday in Victoria and there was a music festival on in Port Fairy, so accomadation would have been difficult.
I had a great time in Wongarra with my friend, Steve. He spoilt me rotten and it was fantastic seeing him after quite some time.
Port Fairy is a lovely little town and quite pituresque. I decided to stay there 2 nights as I really wanted the get the motor home organised as I had been just chucking things in. The dogs got plenty of exercise and I think Kaiser is suffering from 'sore paw syndrome' as he isn't so keen to walk on gravel - either that or he is just plain lazy!!
Drove through Portland to get to Mt Gambier. Portland, is a seaport and  unfortunately there were a large number of ship wrecks there in the 1800's.
Next was Mt Gambier, which is part of the Limestone Coast even tho it's not on the coast.
It is known as the "Blue Lake City" and is built on the slopes of a dormant volcano. The Blue Lake is the city's water supply and it's colour changes from  a steel grey in winter to a torquoise blue in summer.
Today I ventured off on the scooter and left the dogs in the Home. They obviously behaved as there were no complaints from the staff here at the caravan park, which was a relief
Tomorrow I head for the Clare Valley ( wine of course ) but will need to camp somewhere in between.

 The Twelve Apostles or what's left of them!
 Port Fairy looking towards the Wharf
The Blue Lake at Mount Gambier SA

Until my next blog

Love
Jo, Kaiser, Chardy and Shiraz

2 comments:

  1. keep the blogs coming. Love hearing about your travels. Nice pic of you, the dogs and the motorhome. Safe driving. Love Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jo Happy birthday!!! sounds like you are having a great time. Makes me want to get on the road. You are a great travel writer. Might be a new career path you could take!! All well here. Hospital still the same except for missing you. Not the same without you. Just over 3 wks until school holidays. where do you think you will be for easter?
    sounds like the dogs are loving the adventure too. take care, will keep in touch earlier next time love jane

    ReplyDelete