Friday, March 25, 2011

Mt Gambier to Port Augusta

Hi everyone
From Mt Gambier I headed west via the south coast. Went through Robe where I was hoping to but some nice fish or shellfish but the co-op shop was closed and I was to lazy to find another. I then travelled through Kingston where the Big Lobster is. The scenery is great along the coast but once you go inland it gets a bit boring.
I was planning on staying in a free parking area in a place called Coomandook and thought I'd get there at approx 5.00pm. I passed through Tintinara and had just gone through roadworks when I got a puncture. Now what do I do? I rang a tyre place in Tintinara who suggested I ring RACQ but before I left they RACQ told me that they do not cover Motorhomes so didn't give them the Rego. Anyway to cut a long story short RACQ did arrange to have the tyre changed and I was on my way. I arrived at planned destination at about 6pm. Stayed there the nite and in the morning rang a few tyre places to arrange to have a tyre fitted. Unfortunately the tyre is not a common size so went to Murray Bridge  a tyres were ordered fo me but won't be there till Monday.
Stayed in a lovely Caravan Park which is right on the Murray River. Saw the Murray Princess (which is the largest Paddle Steamer in Australia ) "sail" right past and apparently only does the trip on Saturdays. You can pay to stay on it for a number of days but it's not cheap.
Spent a relaxing couple of days there and had the tyre fitted on Monday. Tuesday I drove to Clare in the Clare Valley and it drizzled most of the way. Stayed at Leasingham Caravan Park which was a fair way out from Clare but planned to take the scooter out on Wednesday and do some sightseeing. Well Weds. cold, wet and windy and no way was I going out on the scooter, so stayed in the home all day.
Thursday drove to Port Augusta and it was lovely and sunny. In the booklet it said "Port Augusta has low rainfall" so I was rapt. Planned to sightsee tomorrow (Friday). Woke up this morning and you guessed it , it was drizzling on and off and quite overcast. I can't win!! I still took ther scooter out and did some shopping - got wet of course
Tomorrow I plan to head for Coober Pedy but if it's a nice day I might stay here another night.
Well best go and do nothing, I'm getting used to it now.


Robe

Murray Princess
A Native!!
Port Augusta


1 comment:

  1. Hi Jo and dogs,
    Another puncture, oh dear!!! Becomes a bit expensive and not something you really budget for. Sounds like things are going well and that you seem to have missed the heavy rain down south. Photos are wonderful, keep them coming please.
    Work remains very very busy, so enjoy your well deserved break and safe travelling!!1
    Deb

    ReplyDelete