Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Toomulla to OÇonnell River

I know I know late again but as I've said before I don't seem to be doing anything exciting.

As you know I'm now travelling on my own which is a bit lonely but I'll cope!

I stayed in Townsville for a couple of days. I've been there before but had planned to visit a friends daughter who I haven't seen for many years. Her mum and I nursed together and as Paz ( mother)  is from the Phillipines, my parents became her parents here in Oz. Anyway I thought Rebecca was still in Townsville and we talked on the phone. It wasn't until we arranged to meet that I realised she lives in Cairns!!! boy how embarrassing and it shows you how well I communicated with Paz!

Whilst in Townsville I took the dogs for a walk. The caravan park was on a main road and in the afternoon the cars are bumper to bumper. Well suddenly there were 2 dogs 'attacking' my two. I had no idea where they came from but I was quite anxious. They weren't really viscious ( ? spelling ) but my 2 were pretty scared.  Chardy who was quite distressed, and Kaiser tried to protect her - nthe hero!!. Apparently the dogs jumped out of  one of the cars ( the windows were down) and the owner was screaming at them. Another car stopped and she was with the RSPCA and checked out my 2 and told the other lady that she could be fined and loose 3 demerit points for not having her dogs restrained. Here I am having travelled 23,000kms and I'm ashamed to say, my 2 haven't been restrained!! Kaiser and Chardy then refused to continue the walk, they wanted to get back to the security of the motorhome., so did.

So after Townsville I drove to Ayr, where I thought I would stay. I did a detour to a place called Alva which is 15kms east of Ayr. It was a great place. It's on the coast and the caravan park is only small and luckily for me a lot of people had left. It was 150mtrs from the beach and the dogs loved being off the lead and being able to run around. They also enjoyed swimming. I stayed there 4 nights and a lady, who lives there, sold fresh fruit and veges - 5 x bananas - $1, 2 x avocados (decent size) - $1, whole pumpkin - $1, a large bag of small ( for pickling ) onions - 50cents, plus other veges.

From there I went to Bowen where it was really windy. My motorhome backed onto the beach so I was hoping the wind wouldn't be around the next day. One guy at the park said that Bowen is known as 'Blowy Bowen' .

The next day was perfect. I took the scooter off and rode to Horseshoe Bay which really is magnificent, water, crystal clear and perfect for swimming and snorkelling. Did a bit of a walk, around the 'point', and then went to the Co-Op shop and bought some fresh fish which I cooked that night and was delicious.

I left Bowen this morning and drove to Airlie Beach and Shute Harbour. These areas are very touristy, with prices to match, so decided not to stay. I'm now at OÇonnell River which is 22kms south of Prosperpine and is very pleasant. I'll probably stay here 2 nights as it's only $20 per night and the surrounds are very relaxing
 Alva Beach. The ocean is in the background with one of the lagoons in the foreground.
 The kids
 Sunset from Bowen
 Horseshoe Bay
.View from my Motorhome

Well that's it. Hope you weren't too bored. Till next time

Lots of Love

Jo, Kaiser, Chardy and Shiraz
xx     woof    woof          woof

No comments:

Post a Comment