Friday, August 12, 2011

Kings Canyon to Barkley Homestead

Hi

I'm now at Barkley Homestead and my next stop will be in Queensland.

Kings Canyon was fantastic. The caravan park was really nice, much better than at Yulara. I did the long walk at the canyon but had no intentions of doing it. I decided to take the motorhome, with dogs, to the carpark, instead of going on the scooter. It was quite hot but did manage to get a park under some trees.

I started on the walk which involved a steep climb. I did hear that once you managed this, the walk became a lot easier. Anyway once you get to the top you then have to climb around the cliff and it's like a sheer drop on one side and there is no barrier. I nearly s--- myself as I now realise I'm not at all good with heights. I knew that I wasn't going to go back as I'm sure the climb back would be worse. No wonder I didn't climb Ayers Rock.

I ventured on hoping that I would make it without making a scene - and I did. The walk did become easier and it really was worth the palpatations and anxiety. It took me just over 3 hours ( it was 6kms ) and the walk down was far easier than going up. The dogs survived their time in the motorhome and I must admit I had no intentions of being so long. I did plan on going part of the way so that I wouldn't be too long but realised that after the climb I would have to go the whole way. Anyway I did live to tell the tale but I did have my moments!!

After Kings Canyon I headed back to Alice Springs. I stayed at a free park on the night of the Census and would you believe a lady came round with Census forms - so I am going to be counted! I stayed 1 night in Alice Springs  just to do some shopping and to change an inverter I had brought. This was to charge my computer and camera batteries when I don't have any power. They sold me one that I had to connect directly to the car battery but I wanted one that would plug into a cigarette lighter fitting.

I then drove to Wycliffe Wells which was about a 400km trip. This place is in the middle of nowhere but has the reputation of having UFO sightings. I stayed 1 night and then headed for here. On my way, about 15mins up the road, I was stopped by police for a random breathe test. Luckily it was 10am and not 10pm!! I couldn't believe it.

I'm now here at Barkley Homestead which is really a roadhouse in disguise. I've got a powered site as I haven't had power for the last 3 nights and it really is nice. There is no TV reception so am watching a DVD.

I hope everyone is well and not too cold. I'm still in shorts and T-shirt.

 Some of the steps to get to Kings Canyon
 Yes I was there. This is near the top
 View fo Kings Canyon ( part of )
 Steps down to a place in the canyon called 'Garden of Eden'
 Another view of part of the Canyon
 Spinifex Pigeon
There is an Eagle in the middle of the photo lunching on road kill. It's not a good shot as they are very difficult to get close enough to get any sort of photo. These birds are enormous.

Well that's it till next time.
We are all travelling well

Lots of Love

Jo, Kaiser, Chardy and Shiraz
xx    woof    woof            woof

No comments:

Post a Comment