Friday, August 19, 2011

Karumba - Gulf of Carpentaria

Hi Everyone

Well I'm now in Queensland even though it is a long way from home.

After leaving Barkley Homestead I drove to Camooweal which is just across the boarder ( in Qld.) from NT. I met up with Linda who I originally met in WA at a place called Onslow. We met up again in Marble Bar and Broome and since then have kept in touch. She had met a lady, who runs the Op Shop in Camooweal,  and was staying at her place and I was invited too. Mia was about my age but boy has she had a exciting life. I won't bore you with it all but I stayed there 3 nights. She lives in a converted colourbond garage, which I'm sure would be stinking hot in the summer, and has been there for 1 year. There is nothing in this town but Mia likes it, and she does start drinking wine at 11 am and doesn't stop till bedtime.

From there Linda and I decided to drive to Gregory Downs as the locals said it is a lovely place. We knew that we would be travelling on unmade road and according to the map, it was a reasonable road. Anyway off we went and after about 150kms of bitumen we hit the dirt. Some of it wasn't too bad but some parts were pretty rough and neither of our vehicles are made for outback driving. After 100kms of this road we finally made it to Gregory Downs, which is on the Gregory River and is a very picturesque town. We stayed at the free camp and opposite the hotel there were public toilets and showers, which was a little walk away. There wasn't much to the town but the drive was worth the experience and the countryside was different to what I had been travelling through.

From Gregory we headed to Normanton via Bourke and Wills Homestead. Not much there!. We stayed at another free park, along the way, and even lit a fire and cooked potatoes in it. We did find a little furry creature next to our camp but am not sure what it is. It wasn't scared of us and we managed to take photos, in torch light and flash. I think it is some sort of rat but it really was cute.

Next morning we drove to Normanton which was 100kms away. Once we got there we decided to drive onto Karumba, as the town was pretty quiet and the caravan park was treeless so thought it would be too hot.  Karumba is on the Gulf of Carpentaria but as yet we haven't ventured to the beach. It is very windy but this is not the norm so we might stay another night if the wind dies down.

Well that's bought you up to date. Not many exciting photos as I have been travelling most of the time.

 Bourke and Wills Roadhouse
 Part of dirt road we travelled on
 Gregory River
 Camp fire
Our furry friend

As I said not too exciting photos.

I did visit Mt Isa which is 180kms from Camooweal and it was pretty boring. I did a day trip so not sure whether the time and cost of fuel was worth it. I did do food shopping, which seems to be the only sort of shopping I ever do!!

Until next time

Lots of Love

Jo, Kaiser, Chardy and Shiraz
xx    woof     woof           woof

No comments:

Post a Comment